The Ypres Salient (WWI) Private Guided Tour from Zeebrugge
The Ypres Salient is the area around Ypres in Belgium which was the scene of some of the biggest battles in World War I.
In military terms, a salient is a battlefield feature that projects into enemy territory. Therefore, the salient is surrounded by the enemy on three sides, making the troops occupying the salient vulnerable.
The Ypres Salient during the Second Battle of Ypres
The Ypres Salient was formed by British, French, Canadian and Belgian defensive efforts against German incursion during the 1914 "Race to the Sea", culminating in the Battle of the Yser and the First Battle of Ypres.
These battles saved Ypres and the corner of Belgium around Veurne from German occupation, but also led to the beginning of trench warfare in the salient as both sides "dug in" around the line. The landscape around Ypres is mostly flat, with few rises or hills. Those that did exist became the focus for the 1915 Second Battle of Ypres, which saw the first use of gas and the almost total destruction and evacuation of Ypres. During this battle, the Alliedunits were forced to draw back from Zonnebeke and St Julien to a line of trenches closer to Ypres. This line was to define the Ypres Salient for over two years, during which Hooge lay in one of the eastern-most sectors of the salient and became a site of intense and sustained fighting. This situation changed little despite extensive tunneling prior to the Battle of Messines in 1917 and the Third Battle of Ypres at Passchendaele in the same year.
After the Third Battle of Ypres, the Ypres Salient was left relatively quiet until the Fourth Battle of Ypres, the Battle of the Lys, when the Spring Offensive threatened to overwhelm the entire area. This offensive was stopped at the point the Allies were closest to being forced to abandon the salient. By August 1918, the Fifth Battle of Ypres (part of the Hundred Days Offensive) pushed the German forces out of the salient entirely and they did not return.
- An example of program (this is just an example of the program. Itinerary can be totally customised):
- 09:30/09:45 leave Zeebrugge for Ypres (Ieper)
- 11:00 free time for the lunch in Ypres
- 13:30 leave for our guided WWI Ypres Battlefield Tour, for about 4 hours, with (some of the) following highlights that we will visit:
- Essex Farm Cemetery / Advanced Dressing Station, John McCrae site
- Yorkshire Trench & Dug Out
- Soldatenfriedhof / Langemark
- "The Brooding Soldier" (St. Julien Canadian Memorial) at Vancouver Corner
drive through Zonnebeke
- Tyne Cot Cemetery / Passendale ("Passchendaele")
drive via Passendale and Moorslede
- Hill 62
And/or, depending on the time left, also:
- Hill 60 & Caterpillar crater/ Zillebeke
- Spanbroekmolen, Lone Tree Cemetery & Crater (Pool of Peace) / Wijtschate
- 17:30 Ypres (Market Place) / free time on your own, allowing you to visit the Menin Gate
18:30 leave for Zeebrugge
Arrive Zeebrugge port around 19:30
- Registered and licenced guide/driver up to 10 hours
- Walking tour
- Pick up and drop off in Zeebrugge by private vehicle
- Entrance tickets
- Starting time and meeting point upon your request. Please advice upon reservation.
- Our certified guides propose a whirling variety of guided tours. And upon request a tailor-made visit.
- After your booking is completed you will receive confirmation voucher with all practical information on it (starting time, meeting point, emergency phone number, proof of payment etc)
- You can print your voucher or just present it on your smartphone or tablet on the day of travel
- Vehicle provided for this tour is metallic silver Dacia Logan MCV, for up to 3 (- 4) people with ample space for luggage, although not the "oldsmobile" type of car (head and leg room for the passengers)
- Languages available: English, French and Dutch
- For groups of more than 3-4 people please contact us for a quote email@example.com
- Cancellation for this specific tour:
- till 42 days before departure: €25
from the 41th till 30th day before departure: 10%
from the 29th till 15th day before departure: 50%
from the 14th till the 8th day before departure: 75%
as from 7 days before departure till the day of departure: 100%
Prijzen en beschikbaarheid
You can choose the departure time
Private tour for maximum 4 persons
Price per group, not per person. Price for a private tour of maxium 4 persons.v.a. € 550,00