Pisa & Lucca Private Shore Excursion from La Spezia Port
A FIRST-CLASS AND WORRY-FREE EXCURSION TO SEE THE BEST HIGHLIGHTS OF PISA AND LUCCA
Today your driver will pick you up directly at your cruise ship in the port of La Spezia for a visit to the splendid maritime city of Pisa to see the famous Leaning Tower of Pisa and more.
The remote origins of Pisa and its name are lost in myth and legend but it is certain that this city had Eneolithic settlements and the presence of the Etruscans between the 6th and 3rd centuries B.C. Pisa was later Romanized and became a colony of Rome during the time of Octavianus Augustus in the 1st century B.C. Meanwhile the population was growing along with the development of shipbuilding and trade, thanks also to its harbor. The city expanded rapidly and soon Pisa was surrounded by a circle of walls. In 1062 the building of the Pisa cathedral was begun.
The cathedral and baptistery, the tower of Pisa, and the Campo Santo or cemetery, together form one of the most beautiful and famous building groups in the world. The “Piazza dei Miracoli” makes a perfect showplace for these exquisite examples of Romanesque architecture. Today, the Leaning Tower of Pisa has become a symbol for the entire Italian Republic and after intense restoration has finally reopened to visitors.
Next, your driver will take you to Lucca, one of the most famous and glorious walled cities of Italy. Lucca was founded by the Etruscans but actually has origins even more remote. In 180 BC the town became a Roman colony and from this period has retained the rectangular grid of its Roman street plan and the Piazza San Michele occupies the site of the Roman forum. Where once its wide walls were used for defense purposes today Lucca’s citizens use it for walking and biking.
Lucca is a rather small town but there are many interesting places to visit here - the Romanesque cathedral of San Martino, the church of San Michele, and the Basilica of San Frediano with its exquisite mosaics, and the birthplace of the composer Puccini whose house is now a small museum. You will visit all of this on your tour to Lucca and the more energetic of you can rent bikes to do a “Wall Bike Tour” along the city walls.
If there is enough time, your driver can bring you to visit one of the magnificent villas in the outskirts of Lucca. Years ago Lucca’s most illustrious families and foreign residents had their summer homes in this area. The beautiful gardens of the Villa Mansi built by the architect F. Juvarra are worth a visit as is the Villa Torrigiani with its luxurious apartments and grounds.
In the afternoon, your driver will take you comfortably back to your cruise ship at La Spezia.
- Pick up/drop off directly at the cruise port
- Extensive visit of Pisa
- Possibility to adapt your schedule (within reason)
- Optional Skip The Line Tickets possible
- A fun and informative private English speaking driver to lead you through the day
- Private transportation by air-conditioned and fully equipped Mercedes Benz vehicle
- All taxes, parking, tolls and gasoline
- No hidden costs
- Entrance fees (unless specified on your confirmation voucher)
- Gratuities (entirely at the client's discretion)
- If you would like to experience the climb to the top and the “lean” in the tower as you go up, reservations must be made in advance and can be made on-line at the following website.
- The above itinerary is just an example and includes the highlights; please feel free to customize it to suit your travel needs, directly with your driver on the day. Being a private tour you will have the complete control of the day with the freedom to choose exactly what to do and see.
- Upon booking you can choose your own departure time. We advise to leave around 08.00 AM
OPTIONALS (IF INTERESTED)
- Licensed guide at disposal in Pisa or Lucca (2 hours in each town) to give you more specific and detailed tour of the city/museums/attractions
- No charge or penalty for tours cancelled at least 7 days in advance
- 6 to 3 days prior - 50% of cost of service
- 48 hours or less or NO SHOW - full forfeiture
- No charge or penalty if your ship will not dock in port due to unforeseen circumstances (weather conditions, itinerary change, etc.)
This excursion starts at La Spezia cruise port. The driver will wait for you at the cruise port exit holding a signboard with your name