Chianti & Wineries Private Shore Excursion from La Spezia Port
A FIRST-CLASS AND WORRY-FREE EXCURSION TO ENJOY THE TUSCAN COUNTRYSIDE AND TASTE DELICIOUS LOCAL PRODUCTS AND WINE
Enjoy a private shore excursion directly from the cruise port in La Spezia. Our expert and courteous, English-speaking driver will pick you up in a luxury vehicle and take you to visit the beautiful Chianti countryside and taste some of its famous wines.
Your private English speaking driver will be waiting for you at the cruise port exit in La Spezia, holding a sign with your name on it.
A trip to Chianti represents a unique and unforgettable experience for everyone involved. In addition to fabulous vineyards and olive groves, famous internationally for their wine and oil; there are abbeys, villas, castles, wineries, and restaurants to visit and enjoy.
Departing from your ship in Livorno, we proceed towards the beautiful countryside of the Chianti region and, following the "Wine Road" between vineyards and olive trees, we'll reach Greve in Chianti, the small village, named after the nearby river, expanded considerably during the 14th & 15th centuries, where we find a monument to Giovanni da Verrazzano, the explorer who discovered the New York Harbor. We see Piazza Matteotti with its porticoes, the Santa Croce church, the San Francesco convent and a series of typical, tiny, local shops and wine-cellars. One of the most famous is the butcher shop Falorni, which has been located in the piazza for 500 years.
You can have free samples of many of their locally produced products. Many famous people from Hollywood (and you thought they were vegetarians!!!) order beef, salami, and ham from Falorni. To find out names, just pop in and ask. In Greve there is also the enoteca "Le Cantine" where you will be able to taste not only more than 100 different wines, but also olive oil, vin santo and grappa, all produced in the Chianti area - a showcase for the region's wines. If time permitting, we will also stop at the Bonollo grappa distillery and at Montefioralle, a small village above Greve, which still preserves its medieval architectural flavor.
After Greve, we depart for the magnificent Castle of Verrazzano(*), situated on top of a hill between Florence and Siena, in the heart of the Chianti Classico wine production area. It was originally an Etruscan settlement, then a Roman one, until becoming the property of the Verrazzano family in the 12th century. Giovanni da Verrazzano, who discovered the bay of New York and the main part of the East Coast of America (the suspended bridge in New York with the longest span in the world bears his name) was born here in 1485.
At the Castle guided tours can be booked to see the gardens, the centuries-old ageing cellars and, as a curiosity, the wild boars which breed naturally in the surrounding woods. Together with the world famous wines, all the various products of the farm can be tasted, including olive oil, salted meats, wild boar sausage and the area's other typical specialties (light lunch).
Time Permitting, after the castle the tour continues with a drive through the typical Tuscan countryside and small villages like Panzano and Castellina in Chianti, with an additional stop for another wine tasting at the famous "Rocca delle Macie" winery. On the way back, you will have the chance to admire the Medieval Fortress of Monteriggioni, with its walls and remaining towers witnessing the distant past, giving an impression that time has come to a stand-still both inside and outside of its walls.
At the end you will drive back to La Spezia cruise port on perfect time to board your ship.
- Pick up/drop off directly at the cruise port
- Extensive visit of Tuscan countryside and Chianti Wine Region
- Possibility to adapt your schedule (within reason)
- A fun and informative private English speaking driver to lead you through the day
- Private transportation by air-conditioned and fully equipped Mercedes Benz vehicle
- All taxes, parking, tolls and gasoline
- No hidden costs
- Entrance fees (unless specified on your confirmation voucher)
- Gratuities (entirely at the client's discretion)
- The above itinerary is just an example and includes the highlights; please feel free to customize it to suit your travel needs, directly with your driver on the day. Being a private tour you will have the complete control of the day with the freedom to choose exactly what to do and see.
- Upon booking you can choose your own departure time. We advise to leave around 08.00 AM
OPTIONALS (IF INTERESTED)
- (*) Note: The wine tastings, the lunch and the cellar visit are extra. It is payable in cash directly to the driver before the beginning of the visit.
- Other wine tastings. Prices vary. Please ask us if you are interested.
- No charge or penalty for tours cancelled at least 7 days in advance
- 6 to 3 days prior - 50% of cost of service
- 48 hours or less or NO SHOW - full forfeiture
- No charge or penalty if your ship will not dock in port due to unforeseen circumstances (weather conditions, itinerary change, etc.)