Tarquinia and the Etruscans Private Shore Excursion from Civitavecchia Port
A FIRST-CLASS AND WORRY-FREE EXCURSION TO SEE THE BEST HIGHLIGHTS OF TARQUINA
Enjoy a private shore excursion directly from your ship in Civitavecchia. Our expert and courteous, English-speaking driver will pick you up in a luxury vehicle and take you to visit the fascinating town of Tarquinia to learn about the ancient Etruscan population.
Leaving the Civitavecchia dock at the prearranged time, you will drive northeast through the countryside to reach Tarquina after approximately half an hour. It's the greatest Etruscan museum in the world, with well-preserved sarcophagi, paintings, tombs, frescoes from the 6th to 1st centuries B.C. and the largest Etruscan necropolis.
The Etruscans were mysterious people who populated central Italy long before the days of Rome's greatness. People far advanced in civilization, the Etruscans (apparently they called themselves Tyrrhenians) rose to prosperity and power, then almost disappeared from history, leaving behind themselves unsolved questions about their origin and culture. A common theory is that they came from Asia Minor and they would be the Lydians described by the Greek historian Herodotus who left Asia because of famine and colonized northern and central Italy.
They commenced with the Greeks, the Phoenicians and the Egyptians and they were obviously influenced by those cultures. They tried to overrule the Romans by merging with them rather than trying to conquer them; the last three of the “seven kings of Rome” were in fact Etruscan. It seems that the Romans changed from kingdom to democracy just to get rid of the Etruscan kings. The heart of Southern Etruria, Etruscan capital, medieval township, archaeological site of international fame and an intense cultural life, rises 133m above sea-level on a plateau from which it scenically overlooks the Marta River valley and the Tyrrhenian Sea.
Visit the aristocratic Palazzo Vitelleschi, in itself a masterpiece of Gothic-Renaissance architecture, now housing the National Museum. Proceed the visit to The Etruscan necropolis, just outside the town that includes the most beautiful and well-preserved tombs of the ancient world, which bear witness to the cult of the dead of a fascinating and enigmatic people. They are unique in themselves and only comparable with the Egyptian tombs. Enjoy lunch in a typical trattoria in Tuscania. Tuscania was a powerful Etruscan town. Near the town, particularly along rivers, there are many Etruscan and Roman necropolis, with Etruscan tombs that has returned many things of Curunas family (IV- II cent. B.C.), now in show, with furnishings, inside Archaeological National Museum of S.Maria del Riposo (XV cent.)
In Medieval historical center the beautiful Roman basilica of San Pietro (VIII-XI-XIII cent.) stands on the old Etruscan acropolis, and has a 13th century façade with symbols of the Evangelists. The interior has massive 11th century columns with beautiful capitals and decorative paving.
A second church, Santa Maria Maggiore (VIII-XII cent.), now out of the inhabited area and completely surrounded from his boundaries, is also worth seeing.
In the afternoon, you will return to Civitavecchia pier.
- Pick up/drop off directly at your ships gangway
- Extensive visit of Tarquina
- Possibility to adapt your schedule (within reason)
- A fun and informative private English speaking driver to lead you through the day
- Private transportation by air-conditioned and fully equipped Mercedes Benz vehicle
- All taxes, parking, tolls and gasoline
- No hidden costs
- Entrance fees (unless specified on your confirmation voucher)
- Gratuities (entirely at the client's discretion)
- The above itinerary is just an example and includes the highlights; please feel free to customize it to suit your travel needs, directly with your driver on the day. Being a private tour you will have the complete control of the day with the freedom to choose exactly what to do and see.
- Upon booking you can choose your own departure time. We advise to leave around 08.00 AM
- No charge or penalty for tours cancelled at least 7 days in advance
- 6 to 3 days prior - 50% of cost of service
- 48 hours or less or NO SHOW - full forfeiture
- No charge or penalty if your ship will not dock in port due to unforeseen circumstances (weather conditions, itinerary change, etc.)
Prijzen en beschikbaarheid
You can choose your departure time
Private tour for 1 - 2 people
Price per party, not per person. Private tour for 1 - 2 people.v.a. € 490,00
Private tour for 3 - 4 people
Price per party, not per person. Private tour for 3 - 4 people.v.a. € 550,00
Private tour for 5 - 6 people
Price per party, not per person. Private tour for 5 - 6 people.v.a. € 600,00
Private tour for 7 - 8 people
Price per party, not per person. Private tour for 7 - 8 people.v.a. € 650,00