Cefalù Private Shore Excursion from Palermo Port
A FIRST-CLASS AND WORRY-FREE EXCURSION TO SEE THE BEST HIGHLIGHTS OF CEFALU
Your driver will be waiting for you as you disembark your ship at the Palermo port and bring you for a beautiful private excursion along the coast to the town of Cefalù.
Called “Kephalodion” in ancient times, a Greek term meaning “cape”, Cefalù was founded and built around a huge outcrop of rock which made it easy to defend through the centuries. Today the lovely place on the sea that you will see on this private tour is part of the Park of Madonie, very important naturalistically, but also historically because mankind has been living and working here for thousands of years.
The extraordinary vital force present in Cefalù together with its ancient traditions are united and complemented by the charm and the incredible natural beauty of the flora surrounding the area. The town is enchanting – from its beautiful position to its magnificent Romanesque cathedral that rises above a labyrinth of winding Medieval streets. You will enjoy exploring Cefalù and its monuments on this tour.
Take a walk to see the ruins of an ancient castle or above the town to see what remains of megalith sanctuary, called “Temple of Diana” evidence of Cefalù’s ancient history from the 9th century BC.
Cefalù is divided into two sections by its main street, the “Corso Ruggero”. One half of the town that you will see today on your tour, is the medieval quarter characterized by winding, narrow streets, and the other half of a more recent section with streets laid out in a regular pattern. This is a wonderful town to explore on foot during your tour. See the Porta Marina and the remains of medieval wash basins used up until fairly recently for washing clothes. Nearby you can see the ancient thermal baths and the remains of houses from the II and III centuries BC. Many archeological finds from this area can be seen at the Mandralisca Museum (entrance fee).
As you wander through the streets of Cefalù on your tour today, you will see some buildings from the Norman occupation period of the 11th century. In fact, the Basilica Cathedral and the l’Osterio Magno, the imperial residence of Ruggero II, are from this time and are well worth a visit on your excursion from Palermo. Other sites that should be visited on your tour today are the Castello della Rocca from the 13th century and also the Sanctuary of Gibilmanna dedicated to the mother of Christ. There are also many churches of historic and artistic importance in Cefalù among which are the The Church of Saint Biagio, Bishop and Martyr and the church dedicated to the Saints Crispino e Crispiniano.
This is a full day of sightseeing, shopping, and learning surrounded by an exquisite landscape but when you get hungry during your shore excursion, make sure you stop at a typical trattoria to taste some of the wonderful food and hospitality for which Sicily is so famous. In the late afternoon, your driver will bring you back to board your ship in Palermo.
- Pick up/drop off directly at the cruise port
- Extensive visit of Segesta, Erice and Marsala
- Possibility to adapt your schedule (within reason)
- A fun and informative private English speaking driver to lead you through the day
- Private transportation by air-conditioned and fully equipped Mercedes Benz vehicle
- All taxes, parking, tolls and gasoline
- No hidden costs
- Entrance fees (unless specified on your confirmation voucher)
- Gratuities (entirely at the client's discretion)
- The above itinerary is just an example and includes the highlights; please feel free to customize it to suit your travel needs, directly with your driver on the day. Being a private tour you will have the complete control of the day with the freedom to choose exactly what to do and see.
- Upon booking you can choose your own departure time. We advise to leave around 08.00 AM
- No charge or penalty for tours cancelled at least 7 days in advance
- 6 to 3 days prior - 50% of cost of service
- 48 hours or less or NO SHOW - full forfeiture
- No charge or penalty if your ship will not dock in port due to unforeseen circumstances (weather conditions, itinerary change, etc.)