Olympia On Your Own
Transportation + guidance on board + free time in Olympia on your own
This is a tour designed for those that would desire to explore Olympia on their own and spend as much time as possible experiencing it. Either because you have been to Olympia before, or because you would like to take your own pace visiting the monuments, photographing them or simply spending as much time as you want admiring them, this tour offers transportation from Katakolon to Olympia and on board guidance by a licensed tour guide.
On the way to Olympia you will have the opportunity to learn all there is about Katakolon, Olympia and its history, Pyrgos and the prefecture of Ilia. You guide will inform you about all there is to see in Olympia and will give you useful tips that will help you make the most of your time.
Having a licensed tour guide presenting the highlights of the museum as well as the monuments of the Olympic Games site which are now in ruins, is a way to be able to visualize them better and to make the most of your time at each place. But, there are a lot of people who have deep knowledge of ancient Greek art and history or who are less interested in all that and don't like to have to be in a group and follow a certain itinerary. This is the right tour for you in this case. Of course booking this tour and changing your mind the day of it, you can always upgrade to one of the guided options if there is space available since we never have more than 25 people in each tour guide's group.
As soon as you arrive in Olympia you will be able to start your exploration from either the archaeological site or the archaeological museum, where you will be able to see among other things the ancient gymnasium and the palaestra, the remains of the temple of Zeus and Hera and the spectacular Olympic Stadium. In the museum you will be able to see the statue of Nike and Hermes of Praxiteles as well as the beautifully preserved pediments of the temple of Zeus from the classical period.
In the archaeological site and the museum there are boards with information about all the important things mentioned in English and German.
There are also two other museums. One is the museum of the history of the Olympic Games which closes at 3:00 PM daily and is also closed on weekends, located at the end of the main street of Olympia and close to the archaeological site, which is focusing on how the athletes were training and what kind of accessories they were using. It's a neoclassical building of unique architecture. The other is the museum of Ancient Greek Technology which has a lot of interesting innovations of Archimedes, beautifully presented and most of them recreated for the visitor to see.
You will also be able to explore the modern town of Olympia, do some shopping and taste local specialties before you meet with the rest of the group at the designated area to return back to the port. On the way back you can discuss your experience in Olympia, ask questions and your guide will be happy to answer.
- Explore on your own the Olympic Games site
- Explore on your own the Archaeological Museum of Olympia
- Explore on your own the Museum of the History of the Olympic Games
- Explore on your own the Museum of Ancient Greek Technology
- Free time in the modern town of Olympia
- Air-conditioned round trip transport
- Professional guide on your way to Olympia
- Entrance ticket Olympia and Archaeological museum (€12 per adult)
- Guide in Olympia
- Maximum 25 participants
- We only use professional licensed tour guides to guide you through an archeological site or museum.
- Booking your tour with us, you contribute to the local economy, of the place that you are visiting and of Greece
- Each shore excursion is designed to serve passengers coming only from one cruise ship and do not pick up passengers from different cruise ships to avoid unnecessary delays.
- We have a guarantee to return in time for the passengers to embark their cruise ship otherwise we cover all expenses to take them safely to the next port of call.
- Money back guarantee in case the cruise ship doesn't make port due to weather conditions or Greek workers strike.
- All of our guests are covered by liability insurance.
- All our vehicles are of the latest technology, no older than five years of age, fully air-conditioned, driven by professional, experienced, non-smoking drivers.
- We have scheduled our departure timing to beat the crowds at the sights.
- We always arrive 30' earlier than the ship’s scheduled arrival to welcome our guests in case they come out earlier.
- You do not need to print your voucher - just present your e-voucher on your smartphone or tablet on the day of travel
- Minimum 6 people is needed to confirm the reservation
Prices and availability
Departure from Katakolon cruise port
Price per adultfrom € 25,00
Price per child from 4 - 12 years oldfrom € 20,00
Infants up to 3 years old join for FREEFREE