Olympia Archaeological Site and Museum Experience
Visit the breathtaking archaeological site and museum from Katakolon port
Departing from the port of Katakolon with your private vehicle and driver, you will travel through the rich countryside between the Alfios and Kladeos rivers, on your way to Olympia, where you will embark a 2 and a half hour guided tour, that visits the temple of Zeus, the temple of Hera, the spot of the lighting of the Olympic torch and the stadium, among other sites.
Ancient Olympia, the archeological site of the first Olympic Games, in 776 B.C., lies in the lush valley formed by the Alfios river. There is a temple of Zeus which in antiquity was housing one of the 7 wonders of the Ancient world, the gold and ivory statue of Zeus, which Phedias had created. Then see the temple of Hera, as well as the shrine of Hera which is where since 1936 the Olympic Torch is always being lit from the sun, the shrine of Pelops(one of the oldest in the sanctuary), the Council house where the athletes took the Olympic oath, the Treasury houses, the Gymnasium and the Palaestra where they used to exercise for a month prior to the Games. Finally you will reach the stadium, where the marble starting blocks are still in position.
You will also visit the Archeological Museum, only a short walk from the Olympia site itself. Here you will find a wonderful collection of Greek sculpture, as well as treasures that have been unearthed over a century of excavations.
See the breathtaking original pediments from the Temple of Zeus, all in white marble from Paros, illustrating the mythical war between the Centaurs and the Lapiths on the one side, the beginning of the chariot race between Prince Pelops and King Oinomaos on the other side. The museum is also home to the famous Hermes of Praxiteles statue, as well as the marble statue of Nike and the bronze helmet of general Miltiades who defeated the Persian army in 490 BC in the battle of Marathon.
After all that, you can have a break in the modern town of Olympia, for coffee or shopping and then you will be returned back to the port.
- Guided tour of the Olympic Games site
- Guided tour of the Archaeological Museum of Olympia
- Free time in the modern town of Olympia
- Guidance all the way
- Guided tour of ancient Site
- Guided tour of the archeological museum
- Free time in Olympia
- Entrance ticket Olympia and Archaeological museum (€12 per adult)
- Maximum 25 participants
- We only use professional licensed tour guides to guide you through an archeological site or museum.
- Booking your tour with us, you contribute to the local economy, of the place that you are visiting and of Greece
- Each shore excursion is designed to serve passengers coming only from one cruise ship and do not pick up passengers from different cruise ships to avoid unnecessary delays.
- We have a guarantee to return in time for the passengers to embark their cruise ship otherwise we cover all expenses to take them safely to the next port of call.
- Money back guarantee in case the cruise ship doesn't make port due to weather conditions or Greek workers strike.
- All of our guests are covered by liability insurance.
- All our vehicles are of the latest technology, no older than five years of age, fully air-conditioned, driven by professional, experienced, non-smoking drivers.
- We have scheduled our departure timing to beat the crowds at the sights.
- We always arrive 30' earlier than the ship’s scheduled arrival to welcome our guests in case they come out earlier.
- You do not need to print your voucher - just present your e-voucher on your smartphone or tablet on the day of travel
- Minimum 6 people is needed to confirm the reservation
Prices and availability
Departure from Katakolon cruise port
Price per adultfrom € 48,00
Price per child from 4 - 12 years oldfrom € 38,00
Infants up to 3 years old join for FREEFREE