Classical Rome Full Day from Civitavecchia Port
A FULL DAY EXCURSION WITH GUIDE ALONG ROME'S MOST ICONIC MONUMENTS AND HIGHLIGHTS
You will be welcomed by your tour leader at the Civitavecchia Port (shuttle bus stop) where your comfortable air-con coach will take you to visit one of the most beautiful, artistic, charming cities in the world. Departure is at 09.30 am.
The coach will bring you to the Palazzaccio (Justice Palace) in Piazza dei Tribunali, where you are just a few steps away from the most powerful and imposing Castle ever built in Rome: St. Angel Castle. Once the tomb of the Emperor Hadrian that and later, a secured hidden fortress where the popes could refuge during the siege of Rome. (walking distance about: 300 meters; 0,18 miles)
Just a few yards away, you can look at the magnificent St. Peter's Basilica from the top of Via della Conciliazione. A perfect perspective view which will blow your eyes. Feast your eyes with one of the most suggestive colonnade that surround St. Peter's Square designed and built by Bernini in the 17th century.
St. Peter’s Basilica with its Baroque and Renaissance facade style domintes the square and the skyline with its perfectly designed dome. The Basilica itself was designed by the most sought after architects of the 16th and 17th centuries like Michelangelo, Bernini, Bramante and Antonio da Sangallo. (walking distance about: 500 meters; 0,31 miles)
You have free time to explore St. Peter’s Square on your own. If you wish to "Skip the Line" for a visit of the Basilica, kindly refer to the "EXTRA INFORMATION" section.
After your visit of St Peter’s Square and/or St. Peter’s Basilica, you will meet your tour leader at a designed meeting point (the bus is parked close by) for the second part of this fantastic Panoramic tour: The Ancient Rome.
You will drive along the monument of Victor Emanuell II, well known as Venice Square with its white washed marble monument dedicated to the first King of Italy. Then you continue to the wonderful Marcello Theatre, once used for performances of drama and songs in the Roman Republic era. Your tour leader will also point you out that, right at the top of the Theatre - still today - you will be able to see the residency of one of the most powerful families of Rome, the Pamphili. A family that aimed the power and the papacy since early 17th century and gained papacy in 1644 under the name of Pope Innocenzo X.
At a short drive, down south of the city, you will be pointed out the Boario Forum with its Temple of Hercules. Perfectly round shaped and dedicated to Hercules the Winner back in Ancient Greek period. You will also see the small but lovely Temple of Portuno dedicated to the God of Portunus. And don’t forget to look at the beautiful Basilica of St. Mary in Cosmedin with its enormous bell tower and, next to it, the legendary monument Mouth of the Truth.
During your ride, you will pass along one of the most important ancient stadiums ever built during the Roman period: Maximus Circus. An ancient Chariot racing and other popular games stadium that held 250 thousand spectators all in one time.
Reaching Via San Gregorio, you will look at the famous Arch of Constantine and next to it, the imposing, most visited monument of Rome: the Flavian Amphitheatre well known as the Colosseum. It was built for Vespasian around 70/80 a.D. (walking distance about: 200 meters; 0,12 miles). After sufficient time for a photo stop, you will meet up again at a designed meeting point (walking distance about: 200 meters; 0,12 miles) with your tour leader and heading by coach to the Baroque center of the city of Rome.
You will be visiting Trevi Fountain, built by Nicola Salvi in 1762. This masterpiece is embedded in to a palace and was commissioned by Pope Urban VIII to Bernini. The project was once abandoned when the Pope died and in 1730, Pope Clement XII commissioned the fountain to Nicola Salvi. (walking distance about: 300 meters; 0,18 miles)
After visiting the Trevi Fountain, you will have lunch break for approx. 30/40 minutes for a quick bite or even just an ice-cream in the local gelateria. From here on, you continue on foot, together with your tour guide.
First, you will go the most preserved temple with its massive dome: The Pantheon. (walking distance about: 600 meters; 0,37 miles). Dating back to 27 b.C. and 14 a.D. and commissioned by Agrippa during the reign of Augustus and rebuilt in in 126 a.D. by the Emperor Hadrian. You may walk inside to admire the tombs of King Victor Emanuell II and Raphael Tomb but, looking up to the dome, its where all the enormous opening at the top can be seen. Dedicated to the Holy Spirit and today dedicated to Saint Mary and the Martyrs.
At last, you will reach the wonderful Piazza Navona (Navona Square) with its lovely side fountains and the center masterpiece of Bernini: The Four River Fountain. (walking distance about: 400 meters; 0,24 miles). Piazza Navona, as it’s called today, was once the Amphitheatre of Domitian. The changes came during the centuries and today, it is one of the most sought after Piazzas of Rome. With its unique Church of St. Agnes and the most important fountain that reign for centuries the square, Four River Fountain.
After your visit at Piazza Navona, you will walk together to the coach park near Piazza dei Tribunali (walking distance about: 500 meters; 0,31 miles) and head back to Civitavecchia Port. Departure for your return trip to Civitavecchia is scheduled at 16.00 pm. You will be back in Civitavecchia port (shuttle bus stop) at about 17.15 pm
When a reservation is made, it is confirmed IMMEDIATELY. Once you have completed the booking, you’ll receive a confirmation voucher by email. You do not need to print your voucher - just present your e-voucher on your smartphone or tablet on the day of travel
- A panoramic tour where you can learn the history from the Ancient Rome to the Baroque style.
- All in one ride with professional staff in a comfortable air-con coach, departing from Civitavecchia Port
- All you need to do, is to sit back and watch all the monuments from the coach. There is some walking involved as well. The total walking distance throughout the day will be between 2,5 - 3 kilometers (1,5 - 1,8 miles). Mostly through pedestrian zones. The longest non-stop walking part is no longer than 600 meters (0,37 miles)
- The professional licensed guide and tour leader will give you all explanation and information, during the entire coach and walking tour
- Easy booking, immediate confirmation, great service.
- return transportation between Civitavecchia and Rome
- modern, air conditioned coach
- pre-booked seats on our coach
- friendly staff that will assist you
- tour leader / professional licensed guide during the day
- immediate confirmation by email
- shuttle bus from/to the port to/from the start location at Piazza della Pace (=FREE)
- entrance tickets (Colosseum, Roman Forum, St. Peter's Basilica,...) are not included in the service rate. The panoramic tour will give you only an outside view of those monuments.
- lunch, drinks, personal expenses,...
- headsets (€2,50 pp - can be paid directly at the meeting point)
- If you wish to enter St. Peter's Basilica with "Skip the line" system, we can offer you this service too. Priority entrance to the Basilica can be purchased just before boarding your coach and the rate for this service will be only €20 per person (adults, student and children). The tour will be carried out by an official guide from the Vatican State. Language for the tour of St. Peter's Basilica can be requested when booking the service before boarding the coach.
- It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that, if you wish to enter the Basilica, you must have your knees, shoulders, midriff and cleavage covered. Failing doing so, the Vatican will refuse your entrance. In special events inside St. Peter's Basilica, guided tours are not allowed to enter. On Sundays, the priority entrance cannot be offered as per Vatican State rules.
- It is IMPORTANT that you wear headsets to be able to hear your guide during the time you are walking through the monuments of Rome. Those can be purchased before boarding the coach or while on the coach. The rate for the headsets is only €2.50 per person (adults, students and children). The headsets must be returned to your guide/coach assistant, once the service is terminated.
Standard Departure Time is 09:30 / 09:40 am, Return by 17:30 am at the port of Civitavecchia (shuttle bus stop). We also offer some special departure times, adjusted to your ship's schedule:
- MSC SPLENDIDA: Departs 9:30 / 9.40 am from port – 3.00 pm from Rome;
- MSC DIVINA: Departs 9:30 / 9.40 am from port – 3.00 pm from Rome;
- ROYAL PRINCESS: Departs 9.30 am from port – 3.45 pm from Rome;
- COSTA MEDITERRANEA: Departs 9:30 / 9.40 am from port – 4.00 pm from Rome;
- COSTA DELIZIOSA: Departs 9:30 / 9.40 am from port – 4.00 pm from Rome;
- SOVEREIGN/HORIZON: (if ship arrives at 10:00am) Bus departure 10:30 am from the port/ 4.15 pm
- SOVEREIGN: (if ship arrives at 8:00 am) Bus departure 9:30 / 9.40 am from the port – 4.00 pm from Rome
Prices and availability
Departure from Civitavecchia Cruise Port
Price per adultfrom € 35,00
Price per child (2 - 12 years old)from € 20,00
Infants from 0 - 1 year old travel for FREEFREE