Highlights in Lucca
Highlights in Lucca during a Mediterranean cruise
San Michele in Foro
- church in Pisan-Romanesque style situated on the square with the same name
- built in the 11th century
- famous for its rich decorated façade (marble)
- one of the most beautiful churches in Tuscany
Duomo di San Martino
- cathedral dedicated to Saint Martin
- built in the 11th-13th centuries
- built from white and gray marble
- cathedral was never finished completely
Basilica of San Frediano
- the oldest most popular and church in Lucca
- dates from the 12th century (Romanesque style)
- huge golden mosaic on the façade "The Ascension of Christ"
- contains intact and mummified body of St. Zita
- square in the heart of the city
- once was a Roman amphitheater
- dating from the 2nd century A.D.
Like to make great excursions to - or in Lucca?